Tony Millett's Website

The Millett - Algie Connection

Home Page
About Me
Online Bibliographies
Bibliography on Homosexuality in New Zealand, 1770-2012
Millett of Bosavern and Marazion: Family History and Trees
Tony Millett's Direct Ancestral Line back to about 1650
Images of Milletts and Relations
Millett of Bosavern and Marazion: Biographical Notes
Images for "Biographical Notes"
Some Millett Myths Un-Masked
Cornish Milletts in British India
Early History of the Honorable East India Company, by Towers Trevorian Millett
Bosavern : History and Description
Penzance, Marazion and Neighbourhood (1830)
Millett Family Coat of Arms
Millett of Hayes, Middlesex: Family Tree
Millett of Chertsey, Surrey: Family Tree
Millett of Calstock and Callington, Cornwall
Millett Connections
The Millett - Algie Connection
Algie Family Tree
The Millett - Brookes Connection
Brookes Family Tree
The Millett - Clarke Connection
Clarke Family Tree
The Millett - Dentith Connection
Dentith Family Tree
The Millett - Fletcher Connection
Fletcher Family Tree
Millett - Heath Connection
Heath Family Tree
The Millett - Leslie Connection
Leslie Family Tree
The Millett - Morice Connection
Morice Family Tree
The Millett - Pierce Connection
Pierce / Pearse Family Tree
The Millett - Turtill Connection
Turtill Family Tree
The Millett - Upton Connection
Upton Family Tree
Upton & Co. History and Bibliography
Ownership of Upton / Millett Property at Minnehaha Avenue, Takapuna
Chronology of the Life of George Nicholls Millett (1880-1962)
Chronology of the Life of Martin Leslie Millett (1878-1951)
George Bown Millett : Bibliography
Publications by and about Ronald Macmillan Algie
Bibliography of Publications by and about Peter Millett
Walter Ignatius Cox (1869-1933), Painter
A History of the Milletts, 1647-1674
de Mellet Family
Remarkable Occurencies or Principal Events
New Zealand Legislation on Censorship
New Zealand Legislation on the Age of Sexual Consent
Rarere Road, Takapuna: a Brief History
Armstrong Family Tree




The Brydons: Scotland to Canada;  International Genealogical Index;  FreeBMD;  New Zealand Birth, Death and Marriage Historical Records;  Censuses;  the Internet;   personal communications.





            Born about 1420 at Rome, Lazio, Italy.

Died 1489 at Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland.


“Crawford the Historian, Metcalfe and others agree in stating that the first of the name to settle in Scotland, came from Rome in the train of Thomas DeTerdeo, Abbot of Paisley, in the year 1453.  He was a notary public and connected with the monastery.  When the town of Paisley was created into a burgh of Barury by King James IV on Aug. 17, 1488, the name of Jacobo Algeo appears in the list of the original Fenars as the proprietor of the piece of land known as Blade Yarde”.


Source:  The Brydons: Scotland to Canada.


            Children, including:





            Born 1453 at Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland.

            Died 1509 at Paisley.

            Children, including:





Born 1508 at Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland.
Married in 1547 at Paisley MARIAN MOSTON (about 1510-1603) (also known as MARION MORTOUN and MARIAN MORTON).

Died 1570 at Paisley.


Children, including:





            Born 1549 at Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland.

            Married about 1566 AGNES ROWAT (about 1550-23 July 1613).

            Died after 1627 at Paisley.


            Children, including:





            Born 1571 at Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland.

            Married before 1597 CATHERINE WALLACE.

            Died after 1637 at Paisley.


            Children, including:





            Born between 1597 and 1602 at Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland.

            Died 1656.


            Children, including:





            Born 1630.

            Died 1690.


            Children, including:





            Born 1650 at Kennishead, Renfrewshire, Scotland.

Married JEAN PARK (born about 1660 at Kennishead).

Died 3 February 1685 at Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland.


Headstone  (see image, below)


Martyrs memorial headstone at Paisley reads:  “Here lie the corpses of James Algie and John Park who suffered at the Cross of Paisley for refusing the oath of abjuration February 3 1685”.


Source: Hamilton Family tree.







(From the Liberator.)

The Broomlands church has changed its name.    A stone has been inserted over the main door, bearing the following inscription:-



Erected in 1835, by the Friends of the

Church of Scotland.

“Blessed are they that dwell in thy house, they will
be still praising thee.”


This name is given, ostensibly, as a tribute to the memory of the martyrs who are buried in the adjoining field, which field is to be included in the new burying ground, and an elegant monument is to be created over the precious remains, from a design by Mr. Drummond, architect.


The martyrs, James Algie and John Park, were executed at the Cross of Paisley, on Tuesday, Feb. 3, l635, for refusing the abjuration and test oaths, and were buried in the Gallowgreen, near to the foot of what is now Maxwelton Street.  About 50 years ago, what remained of
their bones and dust were removed, and interred in the field above alluded to, which at that time was intended for a public cemetery.


Those patriots who have served their country, who have died in its defence, or who have laid down their lives for the cause of truth, ought to be held in ever-honoured remembrance.  Their heroic deeds, their noble daring, and their godly virtues, are associated with the best and the purest feelings of the human heart;  and he whose heart does not warm, and his pulse beat high at the recollection of the stern honour, the indomitable spirit of independence, and matchless perseverance of the persecuted Covenanters, during trials and perils almost unexampled in the  annals of civilized life, is neither a true Scotsman, nor the  friend of the human kind.


Some there are, who consider that the giving of the church the name of “Martyrs”, arises from selfish motives, with a view that it will operate as an enthusiastic charm, thereby securing to the house more general patronage and secular attention;  but in a case like this, the patriot and the philosopher cares little for the motives, if they are founded in honour.  Ere long, the men and the motives, and the present generation will be gone and forgotten, but the church and its inscription will remain to point out to the patriot pilgrim the path to the martyrs’ tomb.


The present church of Scotland, however, must retrace its steps, and a long course of defection, before it can bear any resemblance to that Church of Scotland for which these martyrs suffered.  The present Scottish Church is essentially Erastian in its constitution, very unlike the pure republican form of the ancient church.  In its ancient practice the church conducted its elections on the principle of universal suffrage;  the minister and the members of session were appointed by the people.  Accordingly, its presbyteries, its synods, and the General Assembly, spoke the voice of the people, and in truth shewed the very form
and pressure of the times.  Hence their judicatories were the determined advocates of the rights of the people, both civil and religious, and hence the hatred in which they were held by the aristocracy and by a profligate court.  It was the sage apothegm of Charles II. that a Presbyterian Church was incompatible with a kingly government, and these views led to that severe and ruthless persecution of which the martyrs in question, among many thousands of
others, were the victims.  There is one curiosity in this state of things which is noticed neither by Voluntaries nor Compulsories, viz. a Church firmly established, and yet, so far from being influenced by the State, always acting powerfully in opposition to the arbitrary sway of a corrupt government.


As an elucidation of what we have wrote, and to give information on a subject that is but partially known, we deem it proper to give a brief narrative of the transactions connected with the apprehension and legal murder of the two young martyrs, and we hope that the inference drawn from the whole will shew the absolute necessity for every individual, whatever his rank in life may be, to be constantly on the watch, least his civil and religious rights should be invaded.


James Algie and John Park were residents in the parish of Eastwood, and had, for some time previous to their arrestment, rented conjunctly the small farm of Kenneshead, in the barony of Darnley.  They had, however, left it some short time antecedent to this, which so irritated the person that had been instrumental in bringing them into the farm, that, in the vindictive spirit of revenge, he sent his nephew, upon Sabbath, Feb. 1st, with a letter to John Cochrane of Ferguslie, at Paisley, baillie of the regality of Darnley, informing him that these two persons
were inimical to the Government, and that he, as judge ordinary, ought to notice them, as he would be answerable.  The bearer arrived during the forenoon’s service, and was put into confinement until it was over, when a party of soldiers were ordered out, and the two young men were seized in their own house while at worship, and immediately carried to Paisley, where they underwent a long examination in the afternoon;  but not giving satisfaction, they were, as was to be expected, committed for trial, which was appointed, to take place on Tuesday.  On Monday they were visited by a pious Presbyterian minister, one of the indulged, as they were termed.  They appeared to him to be pious, consciencious men, and that they had latterly imbibed the doctrines of those who denied the king’s authority.  He, however, so far overcame their scruples, that they consented to take the oath of abjuration; but when, in open court, they offered to take the oath, the bloody-minded Hamilton of Orbiston answered, “The abjuration oath shall not save you, unless you take the test also, you
shall hang presently.”  The men, having a just abhorrence of the test, instantly replied, “If to save our lives we must take the test, and the abjuration will not save us, we will take no oaths at all.”  This was about ten o’clock in the morning, and they were immediately sentenced to be hanged at two in the afternoon.  Orbiston was the commissioner of the court of justiciary, and he was bound by the law, even as it then stood, to liberate them on their taking the oath of abjuration;  but the truth was, Lord Ross was the prime mover in all these bloody transactions, and Orbiston was a mere tool in his hands, and it was determined that these men should die.  Orbiston boasted after the sentence was passed, “They thought to have cheated the judges, but, by G–d, I have tricked them.”  So dreadful was the thirst for innocent blood in these evil days.


When they came to the scaffold they behaved with great fortitude, but when they attempted to address the assembled multitude, the drums were beat to drown their voice.  They sang the 118th psalm, from the 17th verse downwards, and when giving out the lines:–


We shall not die, but live, and shall
The works of God discover –


the miscreant Lord Ross exclaimed, shaking his head, “But ye shall die.”

The able and acute editor of Wodrow’s history, Dr. Burns, attempts to extenuate this infernal saying of Lord Ross, (merely, we suppose, because it was the saying of a Lord), on the grounds that that nobleman alluded to the chance of a rescue.  But on reading Wodrow’s account of the execution, the very reverse of a rescue is quite apparent;  and no man can have the least hesitation in saying that the exclamation proceeded from the black malignant
heart of the wretch.


After singing the psalm and praying, they offered their bibles to any of the crowd that might be pleased to accept them, but such was the general fear that no person would take them.  The martyrs then quietly declared that they would die with the word of truth in their bosoms.  Their waiscoats were accordingly unbuttoned by the executioner, and the bibles placed nearest their heart, and in a few moments these worthy youths were launched into eternity.


Thus died these noble martyrs ; and well may their simple epitaph say


“This shall a standing witness be,
’Twixt Presbytery and Prelacy.”


The miscreant Lord Ross outlived the Revolution, and received emolument, and was covered with undeserved honour by the WHIGS;  but nothing could allay the horrors of his perturbed imagination, which peopled his den at Hawkhead with demons and other evil spirits.  Even Satan himself was said frequently to pay him a visit; and often had the pious ministers of the Abbey church to wait upon him for the purpose of soothing his awakened conscience.  He at length went to his account;  the name is now totally extinct, and the family is merged in that of' Kelburne.  And happy for the world, if any of that gall and malignity of spirit which characterized Lord Ross be inherited by his successors, it must quietly evaporate in the petty persecution of poachers.




Source:  Transcription of broadside published in Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland in 1835, held by the National Library of Scotland.



Children, including:





Born 1685 at Cathcart, Renfrewshire, Scotland.

Married on 2 December 1714 at Cathcart MARY MUIR (1692-26 November 1764).

Died 1 January 1770 at Cathcart.


4 children, including:





            Born about 1718 at Cathcart, Renfrewshire, Scotland.

Married on 24 April 1744 at Cathcart MARY ANDERSON (21 November 1723-21 November 1781).

Died after 1781.


9 children, including:





            Born 6 October 1752 at Cathcart, Renfrewshire, Scotland.

            Baptised 22 October 1752 at Cathcart.

            Married in 1784 CHRISTIAN McLUCKIE.


            8 children, including:





            Born 30 April 1794 at Govan, Lanarkshire, Scotland.

Married on 7 August 1818 at Inchinnan, Renfrewshire, Scotland JANET ALGIE (1795-1834).

Died in 1834.


6 children, including:





            Born 13 January 1824 at Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland.

            Baptised 8 February 1824 at Paisley.

Married (1) on 1 June 1849 at Paisley JEAN WATSON (18 April 1826-19 October 1852).  2 children.

Married (2) on 26 September 1854 at Paisley MARGARET STEWART (27 November 1825-25 May 1907).

            Died 3 October 1888 at Balclutha, Otago.

            Buried at Balclutha Old Cemetery, Otago.


            Scotland Censuses


30 March 1851: 24 Gauze Street, Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland (master baker)

7 April 1861: 38 Cowcaddens Street, Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland (master baker)


                        Source:  Scotland Census.    


Residence in New Zealand


1866-67, 1867-68, 1868-69, 1869-70, 1870-71, 1875-76:  Balclutha, Otago

1880-81, 1882-84, 1887:  Balclutha (baker)


Source:  New Zealand Electoral Rolls, 1853-1981.


1872-73:  Balclutha (baker)

1876, 1878-79, 1881, 1883-84, 1886, 1887-88:  Balclutha


Source:  New Zealand City and Area Directories, 1866-1954.


            6 children (with Margaret Stewart), including:





            Born 29 April 1857 at Newbattle, near Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland.

Postmaster;  soldier.

Marriages:  see below.

Died on 7 March 1948 at Auckland.




            1875 May 01 Appointed as Messenger, Telegraph, Balclutha 1

1883 Dec 29 Appointed Vaccination Inspector at Wyndham 2

1891 Jan 22 Postmaster Balclutha; also Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages; also Government Life Insurance Agent 3

1911 Sep 11 Postmaster; Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages; Government Life Insurance Agent 4


1 Appendices to the Journal of the House of Representatives (AJHR).

2 New Zealand Gazette 1875 Section H11 Nominal Roll of the Civil Establishment of New Zealand on the 30th June 1875.

3 New Zealand Gazette 1891 Post & Telegraph Classification, p. 115.

4 New Zealand Gazette 1911 Post and Telegraph Classification p. 3202.


He was a Captain in the 6th Hauraki Regiment, New Zealand Military Forces.


Served in the South African (Boer) War: his occupation at that time was postmaster in Lake County.  Address: Arrowtown, Otago.

He embarked on the ship Kent, March 1902.  His rank at that time was lieutenant of the South Island Regiment - B squadron, Ninth Contingent  (Queen’s Medal and clasps).


He was also in the Great War (1914-1918) in command of the Mounted Rifles, Occupying Forces Samoa (British war medal).


Some sources:


Source:  The Brydons: Scotland to Ontario


            Overseas Trip


Bon Voyage !  Mr J. A. Algie, in charge of the Arrowton post and telegraph office, has been proffered and accepted the office of mail agent on the outgoing Vancouver boat.  As Mr Algie served in a similar capacity last year on a ’Frisco boat the repetition of such an offer may be read as highly flattering to the recipient, for it is well known that the position is much coveted by the gentlemen of the Postal department.  Mr Algie will reach Vancouver when the stream of eager gold-seekers flowing into the Yukon Valley is at high flood, and it will require a strong staying power not to be carried away with it.  Mr Algie leaves here on Monday next to meet the Miewera at Wellington, Mr W. Canning, of the Dunedin office, filling the vacancy during his absence.  By a strict attention to business and an equable, gentlemanly urbanity Mr Algie has made many friends, who join in congratulating him on what amounts to a holiday trip and in wishing him bon voyage and a safe return.  Mr H. B. Smith is appointed to act as registrar of births, marriages, and deaths during Mr Algie’s absence.


Source:  Otago Witness 3 March 1898, p. 29 col. C.


            War Service


Full Name:  John Alexander Algie

Forename(s):  John Alexander

Surname:  Algie

War:  South African War, 1899-1902, World War I, 1914-1918

Serial No.:  4058, 20/33

First Known Rank:  Captain

Next of Kin:  Mrs J.A. Algie (wife), care of R.M. Algie, Barrister, University School of Law, Auckland, New Zealand

Marital Status:  Married

Enlistment Address:  Taihape, New Zealand

Military District:  Wellington

Body on Embarkation:  3rd Samoan Relief Force

Embarkation Date:  10 January 1916

Place of Embarkation:  Auckland, New Zealand

Transport:  Talune 10 January 1916

Vessel:  Talune

Destination:  Apia, Samoa

Page on Nominal Roll:  9

Archives NZ source:  Military personnel file, other military personnel file

Further References:  New Zealand History online. New Zealand in the South (Boer) War. URL:

Sources Used:  Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force Volume I. Wellington, Govt. Printer, 1914-1919.


Source:  Auckland War Memorial Museum Cenotaph Database




John Alexander Algie married three times:


1.   On 27 October 1886 at Balclutha, Otago to AGNES MacMILLAN (12 May 1866-9 July 1899), daughter of John MacMillan (born about 1833) and Emily Marsland.


Sources:  Otago Daily Times 9 November 1886, p. 2 col. C.

                             Birth, Death and Marriage Historical Records 1886/3293.


Agnes died on 9 July 1899 at Arrowtown.


Sources:  Birth, Death and Marriage Historical Records 1889/5203.

Marriage Certificate of John Alexander Algie and Marian Charlotte Tosswill.



2.  On 27 May 1904 at Church of the Holy Trinity, Gore, Southland to MARIAN CHARLOTTE TOSSWILL (1878-7 May 1954), daughter of Arthur Robert Davis Tosswill (1847-1902) and Charlotte Ann Davis (1849-1927).


Sources:  Birth, Death and Marriage Historical Records 1904/5601.

Marriage Certificate of John Alexander Algie and Marian Charlotte Tosswill.


The Evening Post for 5 May 1922, under the heading “In Divorce”, listed:


Marian Charlotte Algie v. John Alexander Algie, restitution of conjugal rights.


Source:  Evening Post (Wellington) 5 May 1922, p. 8 col. B.


The Evening Post for 13 June 1922 carried the following report:


A formal order for restitution of conjugal rights was made by the Chief Justice, Sir Robert Stout, at the Supreme Court yesterday afternoon upon the petition of Marian Charlotte Algie, for whom Mr. T. M. Wilford appeared.  Petitioner stated that she had not seen her husband, John Alexander Algie, since 1915.  The order is to be complied with within three months of the date of service upon the respondent, who is believed to be living somewhere in Scotland.


Source:  Evening Post (Wellington) 13 June 1922, p. 3 col. D.


The Evening Post for 27 October 1923, under the heading “In Divorce”, listed:


Marian Charlotte Algie v. John Alexander Algie, alleged desertion.


Source:  Evening Post 27 October 1923, p. 8 col. A.



3.  On 23 July 1924 at the Parish Church, Blairgowrie, Perthshire to PENELOPE ANDERSON MONRO (1881-20 August 1954).


Sources:  Marriage certificate from the Parish of Blairgowrie, Perthshire (given to me by Gregor Macaulay of Dunedin);  The Brydons: Scotland to Ontario


There is a reference in a North Shore City Council booklet Takapuna-Milford Walk (2002, p. 10) to John Alexander Algie who, on returning from a trip to his ancestral Scotland, brought back with him “a new wife, Penelope”;  and there are several references on the Internet to Algie’s Castle (Merksworth Castle) having been built for John Alexander Algie “and his wife Penelope”.  See also photo (below).




            Death at 90: Captain Algie’s long military career


Captain John Alexander Algie, V.D., of Hustmere Road, Takapuna, died yesterday after a short illness, aged 90.  Born in Scotland, Captain Algie came to New Zealand when he was seven.  He was a member of the staff of the Post and Telegraph Department when the South African War broke out and served with the New Zealand Forces in South Africa.


At the beginning of the First World War, Captain Algie went with the New Zealand force to Samoa.  He volunteered to serve with the New Zealand Expeditionary Force, but, being unsuccessful, paid his own way to England and served with a coastal defence unit.  Captain Algie had 29 years’ service with the New Zealand defence forces and, during the Second World War, set a fine example of military enthusiasm by serving in the Takapuna section of the Home Guard.


For many years president of the King’s Empire Veterans, Captain Algie was also for a time a member of the Takapuna Borough Council.  During his service with the Post and Telegraph Department he was twice chosen to travel to North America as a departmental mail officer.


Captain Algie is survived by Mrs Algie and two sons, Mr R. M. Algie, M.P., and Mr D. L. Algie.  His eldest son, Captain C. S. Algie, was killed on active service in France in 1916.


Source:  New Zealand Herald 8 March 1948, p. 8 col. E.


“V.D.” is the Volunteer (Officers’) Decoration, which was created by Royal Warrant under command of Queen Victoria on 25 July 1892 to reward “efficient and capable” officers of the Volunteer Force who had served for twenty years.  In 1894 the decoration was introduced for officers of Volunteer Forces in India and the Colonies ...  The award of the Volunteer Decoration entitled the recipient to the use of the postnominal letters V.D. after their name.  The award was superseded by the Territorial Decoration in 1908.


Source:  Wikipedia,


Scotland Census


            1861:  38 Cowcaddens Street, Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland


                        Source:  Scotland Census.    


Residence in New Zealand


            1880-81:  Kakanui, Otago (postmaster)

1890:  Balclutha (postmaster)

1905/06, 1908:  Paeroa (postmaster)

1911:  Queenstown (postmaster)

1914:  Taihape (postmaster)

1928, 1931, 1935, 1938, 1941, 1943, 1946:  131 Hurstmere Road, Takapuna, Auckland (no occupation)


Source:  New Zealand Electoral Rolls, 1853-1981.


1878-79, 1881, 1883-84:  Kakanui, Otago (postmaster & telegraphist)

1887-88, 1891:  Wyndham, Southland (postmaster)

1892-93, 1895, 1897:  Kaitangata, Otago (postmaster)

1898-99, 1901, 1902, 1903:  Arrowtown, Otago (postmaster)

1904, 1907:  Paeroa (postmaster)

1910, 1913:  Queenstown (postmaster)

1930:  131 Hurstmere Road, Takapuna, Auckland (master mariner)

1936, 1938, 1940, 1942, 1947:  131 Hurstmere Road, Takapuna, Auckland


Source:  New Zealand City and Area Directories, 1866-1954.


            Children (with Agnes MacMillan):



            (1)  COLVIN STEWART ALGIE


            Born 6 July 1887 at Wyndham, Southland.

            Baptised 1887 at St Andrew’s, Balclutha, Otago.

Schoolteacher, Rotorua.


Married on 14 April 1914 at Rotorua ALICE VICTORIA ELIZABETH CORLETT (born 21 June 1887, daughter of Benjamin Stott Corlett (1840-1925) and Elizabeth Burge (1850-1924);  Alice later married on 17 November 1926 Frederick de Mulford Hyde (29 December 1898-12 November 1962), with whom she had a son Geoffrey Hammond Hyde (25 May 1927-3 April 2016);  and died on 18 July 1960 at Auckland.


Died (killed in action) on 21 July 1916 at Somme, France.

Buried at Cité Bonjean Military Cemetery, Armentières, France.


War Service


Captain, 2nd Battalion, Auckland Infantry Regiment, New Zealand Expeditionary Force, Egypt, Gallipoli, France.


Full Name:  Colvin Stewart Algie

 Rank Last Held:  Captain

 Forename(s):  Colvin Stewart

 Surname:  Algie

 War:  World War I, 1914-1918

 Serial No.:  12/294

 Gender:  Male

 Date of Birth:  6 July 1887

 Place of Birth:  Wyndham, Southland, New Zealand

 Religion:  Church of England

 First Known Rank:  Lieutenant

 Occupation before Enlistment:  Teacher

 Next of Kin:  Mrs A.E. Algie (wife), Malfroy Road, Rotorua, New Zealand

 Marital Status:  Married

 Enlistment Address:  Rotorua, New Zealand

 Age on Enlistment:  27

 Military District:  Auckland

 Body on Embarkation:  Main Body

 Embarkation Unit:  Auckland Infantry Battalion

 Embarkation Date:  16 October 1914

 Place of Embarkation:  Auckland, New Zealand

 Transport:  HMNZT 8, HMNZT 12

 Vessel:  Star of India or Waimana

 Destination:  Suez, Egypt (3 December 1914)

 Nominal Roll Number:  Vol 1

 Page on Nominal Roll:  9

 Campaigns:  Gallipoli, Western Front

 Military Awards:  Gallipoli Medallion

 Last Unit Served:  Auckland Infantry Regiment

 Place of Death:  Somme, France

 Date of Death:  21 July 1916

 Age at Death:  29

 Year of Death:  1916

 Cause of Death:  Killed in action

 Cemetery Name:  Cité Bonjean Military Cemetery, Armentières, France

 Grave Reference:  II. E. 40

Memorial Name:  Rotorua War Memorial (World War 1), Auckland War Memorial Museum, World War 1 Hall of Memories

Biographical Notes:  Husband of Mrs. A.V.E. Algie, of Te Aroha, Piako, New Zealand.


Source:  Auckland War Memorial Museum Cenotaph Database


In Memoriam


On July 21, 1916, killed while in action near Armentières, France, while in command 15th North Auckland Company, 2nd Auckland Infantry Batallion, Captain Colvin Stewart Algie (6th Hauraki Regiment), eldest son of Captain J. A. Algie, Symonds street, Auckland (late Queenstown);  aged 29 years.


            Source:  Otago Daily Times 21 July 1917, p. 6.


War Diary


Auckland’s contingent of the 1914 Main Body made a false start before getting away to World War I from Wellington on October 16.  Two transports left Auckland on September 24, but turned back the same night to await a stronger naval escort.


Mr Colvin S. Algie, then a lieutenant in the 6th Hauraki Regiment, who left with the Auckland Infantry Battalion, 1st N.Z.E.F., and was killed in action, left in his diary an account of the departure which will recall many memories to the men who will gather here in a fortnight for the 50th anniversary reunion.


The 6th Hauraki left their camp at Epsom, where they had spent six weeks, in the rain on September 23, 1914, and embarked in the troop-ship Waimana.  Lieut. Algie’s diary says:


It was unfortunate for the men that they should have had to go aboard more or less wet ...  It has been a memorable day for all, and when it was over we were all a pretty tired crowd.


We had a great time fixing up the messing arrangements of all the men.  The mess room is not quite big enough to accommodate all hands, so that two relays have to be made.  The present arrangement is that two companies go at a time, and the two first for one day are the last for next day.  The tables are packed to their full capacity and will be rather uncomfortable when we get into the tropics.


We left the wharf about 6 p.m., just after our other troop-ship, the Star of India (No. 8) had come to anchor.


The next morning the two ships, with their escort, the Philomel, sailed – and the great adventure had begun, so they thought.  But the men awoke the following morning (September 25) to find themselves back inside Tiri again, with Rangitoto in sight.


The next two weeks were spent aboard the ship in port and drilling ashore.  Saturday, October 10, brought the final embarkation.  The diary continues:


Sunday, October 11 – It was a fine morning, and soon many launches were visiting us, continuing to do so throughout the day.  In the afternoon the ferry steamers carried hundreds round the ship, and many of us were able to recognise friends aboard.


Promptly at 5 p.m. the Philomel backed out and we were once more under steam.  It was a great contrast to our previous attempt.  Several launches accompanied us down the channel, and every ferry steamer tooted as we passed.  The pilot was dropped, and the last remaining link with Auckland was left behind.  We were all more or less in the dark as to our first course, whether round North Cape or south to Wellington.  Our doubts were soon dispelled, however, as Cuvier Light came into view on the starboard bow – we were bound for Wellington.


Wednesday, October 14 – We are just entering Wellington heads at 8 a.m. and a cold wind is blowing – otherwise quite fine.  The first vessels we saw when we got in were two men-o’-war, and on closer inspection one was found to be the Ibuki, a Japanese battle cruiser, and the other H.M.S. Minotaur, a first-class cruiser from the China Station.


We lay at anchor in the stream all day, and many were the scathing comments on Wellington and its ferry services as the day wore on.  Nobody seemed to worry whether we were in the harbour or not and the greatest difficulty was experienced in getting anything to or from the shore.


The eight other transports were at the wharves and we could see by the movement of horses on the wharves that embarkation was proceeding.  About 5 p.m. the troop-ships began to back out into the stream, and very soon all of them but the flagship, the Maunganui, had taken up their anchorage.


Thursday, October 15 – This morning was wet, and drizzling rain fell all day.  In the afternoon the Maunganui came out to an anchorage and word was passed round that we were to sail at 6 a.m. next day, to our great relief.


The ten transports make a unique and imposing sight in port, comprising as they do some of the finest vessels trading to these shores.  They are No. 3 Maunganui, 4 Tahiti, 5 Ruapehu, 6 Orari, 7 Limerick, 8 Star of India, 9 Hawkes Bay, 10 Arawa, 11 Athenic, and 12 Waimana.


Friday, October 16 – I turned out at 5.45 this morning, and at 6 a.m. exactly the Minotaur and Ibuki got under way.  They moved out ahead and were soon followed by H.M.S. Psyche.  The latter was followed down the harbour and out of the heads by five troop-ships, the Maunganui, Hawkes Bay, Star of India, Limerick and Tahiti.  With this column on the move H.M.S. Philomel led off with the Arawa, Athenic, Orari, Ruapehu, and Waimana in her wake.


On reaching the heads we saw the big cruisers were already hull down on the horizon.  We kept this line ahead formation until clear of the heads, when our column of five ships, headed by the Philomel, drew up and we formed two columns abreast.


It was a great sight.  Once outside, we were astonished to find that we had left the wind in the harbour and the sea was beautifully smooth.


All day we have been dodging along through Cook Strait, with the South Island on our port beam, and at 6.20 p.m. we had Farewell Spit abeam.  This was our last sight of New Zealand and one cannot help wondering when and how we shall sight these shores again.


We are now heading for Hobart, I believe, and should reach there about Wednesday evening or Thursday morning.  Where we go from there we do not know, but Suez seems to be the popular tip.


Source:  Auckland Star 5 October 1964, p. 10 col. F-H.


            Gallipoli Diary


Colvin Stewart Algie was first assistant at Rotorua District High School when he enlisted in 1914.  A captain in the 6th Hauraki Regiment, Auckland Infantry Battalion, he was killed at Armentières, France on July 30, 1916.


Letters from “Colv” to his young wife, every one of them preserved, reflect a tender, sensitive nature.  But his Gallipoli diary reflects an extraordinary matter-of-fact approach to war.  In a manner possibly common until after World War II, he seems to see war as a normal phase in the life of man.  He complains of little.  He records his admiration of courage, stoicism and mateship.


Well, he might have seen war as a normal part of the life of man.  Colv Algie’s father, Capt. John Alexander Algie, who died in 1948 at 91, was at the Boer War as a captain with the Otago Mounted Rifles and, at the time of his son’s death, was with the New Zealand force which seized German Samoa.  John Alexander Algie built Algie’s Castle, a stone fortress above Black Rock, between Takapuna and Milford.


Family archives record centuries of soldiering by Algies.  First entry in the archives is Jacobo Algeo, of Rome, a vassal of the Abbot of Paisley, in Scotland.  From then, Paisley Algeos (the name survived in that form and as Algoes and Auldjo until early last century) were in any war that offered.  In one Paisley Algeo family, John Henry Algeo, captain in the 34th Cumberland Regiment, died of wounds in the Peninsular War in 1813.  His brother Lewis, Lieut. 14th Regiment of Foot, was killed in action in India in 1818, as was brother N. G. from the same regiment in 1819.


At Algie’s Castle, along with the swords of John Alexander, Colvin Stewart and Donald Colvin Algie who was five years in the Navy in World War II, is a polished and mounted piece of Martyrs’ Tree at Paisley.  A silver band records that James Algie was hanged from it on February 5, 1685 “for not conforming to the Episcopacy”.


A close kinsman of the New Zealand Algies, Lieutenant Wallace Lloyd Algie, Central Ontario Regiment, was awarded the Victoria Cross posthumously in World War I – he was killed in France 31 days before the Armistice.


Here are extracts from the early entries in the Gallipoli diary of Colv Algie.  The original, in careful cursive teacher’s writing, started in a hard-back notebook but progressed to sparser entries on the back of signal forms.


Sunday 25th April:


At daybreak this morning the sound of a heavy big gun bombardment could be heard.  The business commenced.  We were now almost abreast of Kaba Tepe our landing place ...


We reached our allotted place at 8.15 and came to a stop.  The sea was like glass and the weather perfect – surely a good omen.  At midday our Battn landed in pontoons towed by destroyers, trawlers and pinnaces.  Major Stuckey, Sinel and others were in first tow and landed first.  I got left in second which broke adrift twice and caused some delay;  consequently I landed with 15 men (Hauraki) about an hour after the rest of the company.  Couldn’t find Haurakis when I got ashore so attached myself to 3rd Coy.  We landed on an open beach and were greeted with a sight to try the nerves of the strongest – dying and wounded men in all directions – the Australians who had landed at dawn had suffered heavily, but performed a feat of which we were all proud in driving the enemy out of his position at all.


The hills rise sheer from water’s edge here and we all marvel at the Turks leaving their position.  The bayonet was too much for them however and out they got.  Their losses were pretty heavy.


We moved up the hill to the attack directly we landed and most exciting it was.  The Turks had four guns which kept up a pretty steady fire down over the hill to the beach.  All the way up we were under fire from these but the shells fortunately burst in the wrong place, to injure us.


We stopped halfway with the remainder of the 3rd Coy whom we were to join.  Soon after the shrapnel started again and of a group of seven of us 6 were hit, 2 being killed, while I escaped unhurt.  We were then ordered into a trench – really a Turkish one – where we stayed nearly all day.  The shells and rifle bullets kept up an incessant shriek and rattle all day and the trouble is no enemy to be seen.  Enemy snipers are most troublesome, however.


Only part of our force has landed yet and our information is a little out as the enemy is much stronger than reported.


The Australians did great work in scaling the cliffs and rooted the Turks out with the bayonet.  They took the next ridge too but in doing so really went too far as by the time we caught up we were “pumped”.  We had all to fall back at night and take up a fresh position.  Still we are ashore and no Turks will get us out now.


Word has just come through that the 16th have lost all officers (one killed) while Major Stuckey is reported killed, also Flower and Dodson.  Morpeth is wounded and nobody knows anything of Sinel.


It has been a trying test for new soldiers but they are magnificent.  Australasia can be justly proud.  I never wish to see braver or cooler men.


Monday 26th April:


Last night the fight kept on without letting up in the least.  The Turks made several desperate attacks but we held them off each time.  The left had to fall back once but we took up a position from which we cannot now be dislodged.


There were only about 50 of us left of all units when we got the word to come back and one of our Auckland machine guns under young Massam of Opotiki was doing good work.


We had a number of wounded men who had been there all day and this was the most pitiable part.  These poor beggars’ moans and requests for water being unbearable at times.  After a great deal of trouble some of our chaps got them down the cliff to the beach but their suffering must have been frightful during the process.


Some attempt was made to dig ourselves in during the night with a good deal of success and our position is now much more secure.  Rain came on before daylight and as all packs had been left on the beach most of us put in a pretty miserable night.  By 8 or 10 this morning the blue sky was showing again and cheered us up.


Sinel came in looking a wreck, mud-stained and with a twisted ankle and reports a frightful time where he was.  Major Stuckey severely wounded is on the hospital ship, likewise Morpeth.  Flower and Dodson are both dead and both died game and in the thick of it.  Dodson was killed instantly, Flower died soon after being hit.


We are to stay in reserve today and endeavour to collect the Auckland Battalion which has been pretty hard hit.  From all accounts there is about half of it left.


The casualty list although heavy is not so heavy as we thought.  All ranks have proved themselves “stickers” and heroes and the battalion has been complimented by the general for its part.  The stretcher-bearers particularly deserve mention.  They brought in wounded under fire and did what in many other wars would have earned VCs without a doubt.


The Turks keep up a pretty steady rifle fire all the time and first thing at dawn and last thing just before dark their artillery gets to work.


Tuesday 27th April:


We gathered in all the Hauraki men we could find and mustered 99 out of our original 227.  About 10 a.m. had to occupy a reserve defensive position and get to work trench digging.


Today a shell struck the bank behind me and shot off past my shoulder bursting just in front and a little to the right.  The concussion knocked me over and gave me a dickens of a scare.  I thought I was scorched by the flame from the burst while the din deafened me for a time but there proved to be no damage done.  It was quite near enough to the next world for me for a while yet.


These colonial boys of ours have proved great stickers and equally good as bayonet fighters.  Australians and New Zealanders may be seen bringing one another from the firing line when wounded and are fellows that would go anywhere required.


Our diet for the last three days has been bully beef, biscuit and water.  We have not had a wash since we landed but Sinel and I managed to have a shave this morning using a tin lid for a glass.  The colonel caught us in the act and thought it a great joke.


Source:  Auckland Star 23 April 1975, p. 8.


Colvin Stewart Algie’s war diary is held at the Alexander Turnbull Library in Wellington (MS-Papers-1374).


Residence in New Zealand


1911, 1914:  Rotorua (school teacher)


Source:  New Zealand Electoral Rolls, 1853-1981.


1910, 1913, 1916:  Rotorua (school master)


Source:  New Zealand City and Area Directories, 1866-1954.


1 child:




            Born 27 January 1915 at Rotorua.

            Accountant, company executive.

Married on 13 January 1942 at All Saints Church, Pimlico, London, England CECIL MARY UPTON (25 August 1916-16 February 2002), daughter of Percy Henry Upton (1874-1960) and Florence Sarah Nihill Pierce (1878-1954), and sister of Eleanor Florence Millett née Upton (1910-1973).

Died 16 May 1990 at Takapuna, Auckland.

Cremated 18 May 1990 at North Shore Memorial Park Cemetery and Crematorium, Albany, Auckland.




Advice has been received of the wedding of Miss Cecil Mary Upton, youngest daughter of Mr and Mrs Percy Upton, of Remuera road (Auckland), and Sub-Lieutenant Donald Algie.  The bride, who has been in England since 1937, took her B.A. degree at Oxford University, and shortly after war broke out she joined the clerical staff of the B.B.C., where she has been employed ever since.  Sub-Lieutenant Algie, who lived in Auckland for some years, and was a member of the R.N.Z.N.V.R., has served in H.M.S. Chitral and H.M.S. King Alfred since leaving New Zealand in May of last year.


Source:  Christchurch Press 16 February 1942


War Service


Lieutenant Commander R.N.Z.N.V.R.  Served in the Commonwealth Naval Forces Atlantic, Europe and Pacific 1939-1945.


Good Job Done – Fairmile Launches Return from Pacific


After a tour of duty in the Pacific which lasted for nearly 18 months, 12 Fairmile motor-launches of the Royal New Zealand Navy returned recently to Auckland.


The tour of duty began on February 6, 1944, when the first five Fairmiles left for the Solomon Islands.  The other seven departed on March 25, 1944.  Since then the flotilla has been engaged in patrols, escort, and anti-submarine work and has provided screens for vessels engaged in loading war materials at various places.


The officer in command of the base, H.M.N.Z.S. Kahu, from which the Fairmiles worked, was Lieutenant-Commander H. E. Cave, R.N., Gisborne. Senior officer of the flotilla was Lieutenant-Commander H. J. Bull, D.S.C., R.N.Z.N.V.R., Auckland, and the commanders of the 12 ships at the close of the tour of duty were Lieutenants ... E.T.F. Millett, Auckland, D. C. Algie, Auckland ...


Each of the Fairmiles carried two officers, two petty officers, and 12 ratings.  At the base in the Solomons there were 10 officers and 53 ratings.


On his return to the Dominion Lieutenant-Commander Cave was enthusiastic in his praise of the work of the officers and men under his command.  He expressed gratitude for the co-operation and assistance received from the United States navy.  He said that since the Fairmiles had left New Zealand they had travelled a total distance of 380,000 miles.  Though their work in the main had been monotonous, with no action by or against the enemy, it had been important, and the American naval authorities had been very appreciative of the manner in which it had been carried out.


“The Fairmiles stood up to the work very well, and I must congratulate the New Zealand builders of these little ships on their excellent workmanship”, said Lieutenant-Commander Cave.  He added that it was not at all the work for which the ships had been designed.  They had been intended for short coastal patrols, but during the Pacific tour had taken part in convoys over hundreds of miles.


Ratings in one of the Fairmiles expressed gladness at being back in the Dominion after the tour of duty, which had been partly interesting and partly monotonous.  They said food and conditions on the small ships had been very good, but they were pleased to taste fresh milk again.  Asked if they had any conplaints, they gave a unanimous “No”.


Source:  Evening Post 30 July 1945, p. 7 col. F.


            HMS Leander


Leander was one of the largest New Zealand naval ships at the outbreak of the Second World War.  She saw service in the Red Sea, the Indian Ocean and the Arabian Gulf.  The ship was torpedoed during the Battle of the Coral Sea, but managed to limp back to New Zealand with a 30-foot by 20-foot hole in her hull. ...


Mr D. C. Algie [was] one of the first New Zealanders to train in the ship as a signalman.


Source:  New Zealand Herald 26 June 1968.


            Residence in New Zealand


1938, 1941, 1943:  205 Courtville Flats, Eden Street, Newmarket, Auckland (clerk)

1946:  11 Lake Road, Takapuna, Auckland (clerk)

1949, 1954:  224 Lake Road, Takapuna, Auckland (clerk)

1957, 1960:  224 Lake Road, Takapuna, Auckland (accountant)

1963:  224 Lake Road, Takapuna, Auckland (staff manager)

1966, 1969:  253 Hurstmere Road, Takapuna, Auckland (staff manager)

1972, 1975, 1978:  253 Hurstmere Road, Takapuna, Auckland (secretary)

1981:  253 Hurstmere Road, Takapuna, Auckland (retired)


Source:  New Zealand Electoral Rolls, 1853-1981.






            Born 10 July 1943 at Auckland.

Married on 17 December 1965 at St Peter’s Church, Takapuna, Auckland THOMAS FRANK BAYLISS (born 14 November 1936 at Gisborne).

Died 28 June 2016 at Whakatane.  Buried 30 June 2016 at Whakatane Cemetery.


Residence in New Zealand


1966:  1 King Street, Northcote Point, Auckland (married)

1969:  82 Palmerston Road, Birkenhead Point, Auckland (teacher)

1972:  Soldiers Road, Edgcumbe (married)

1975, 1978, 1981:  8 Walter Park, Whakatane (married, housewife)


                        Source:  New Zealand Electoral Rolls, 1853-1981.


3 children:  Rosemary Jane Bayliss (born 18 April 1971);  Ian William Bayliss (born 8 June 1973);  Andrew James Bayliss (born 12 August 1975).





Born 2 April 1946 at Takapuna, Auckland.

Married on 25 November 1967 at St Paul’s-by-the-Sea, Milford, Auckland ADRIAN CASSAIDY (born 3 May 1944 at Preston, Lancashire, England).


Residence in New Zealand


1969:  255 Hurstmere Road, Takapuna, Auckland (married)

1972, 1975:  102 Kitchener Road, Milford, Auckland (housewife)

1978, 1981:  18A James Street, Whakatane (registered nurse)


                        Source:  New Zealand Electoral Rolls, 1853-1981.


3 children:  David John Cassaidy (born 15 June 1968);  Anne Elizabeth Cassaidy (born 19 August 1970);  Sarah Margaret Cassaidy (born 25 July 1975).





Born 20 October 1947 at Narrow Neck, Auckland.

Married in 1969 at Maidenhead, Berkshire, England ELIZABETH ANNE PHILLIPS.


Residence in New Zealand


1972, 1975, 1978:  255 Hurstmere Road, Takapuna, Auckland (insurance officer)

1981:  255 Hurstmere Road, Takapuna, Auckland (sales executive)


                        Source:  New Zealand Electoral Rolls, 1853-1981.


2 children:  Penelope Sarah Algie (born 12 July 1973);  Emma Jane Algie (born 24 January 1976).



            (4)  MATTHEW COLVIN ALGIE


            Born 12 August 1950 at Narrow Neck, Auckland.

            Married (1) in 1971 MARGARET DONALDSON.


3 children:  Melinda Anne Algie (1971-1972);  Kellie Alice Algie (born 27 April 1976);  Keryn Algie (born 1978).


Married (2) WENDY THOW.





Born 22 October 1888 at Wyndham, Southland.

University Professor, Member of Parliament


Married (1) on 14 December 1917 at Auckland HELEN ADAIR McMASTER (19 February 1890-24 May 1944), daughter of Alexander Anthony McMaster (1863-1914) and Annie Reid (1864-1919).  No children.


Married (2) on 28 May 1947 at Christchurch, Canterbury MARY JOAN GRAY STEWART (25 August 1909-5 May 1972).  2 children (see below).


Died 23 July 1978 at Auckland.


Death Announcement


Death of former Speaker


A former Speaker of the House of Representatives, Sir Ronald Algie, died in Auckland yesterday, aged 89.


Sir Ronald (then Mr Algie) entered Parliament in 1943 as National MP for Remuera after nearly two decades as professor of law at Auckland University, and soon established himself as one of the leading figures of the Holland and Holyoake administrations.


He served as Minister of Education and as Speaker before his retirement in 1966.  Throughout a long parliamentary career, he was noted for his quick wit and his polished debating style.


Sir Ronald married twice and was predeceased by both his wives.  He is survived by a son and a daughter.


Source:  New Zealand Herald 24 July 1978, p. 1 col. C.




Former Speaker dies at 89


Sir Ronald Algie, who died in Auckland yesterday, was one of the leading figures of the Holyoake and Holland eras in New Zealand politics.


He was Member of Parliament for Remuera for 23 years, a minister of the Crown for eight years, and Speaker of the House of Representatives for six.


But it is as one of Parliament’s great debaters that he will, perhaps, be best remembered.  He was clever, witty and articulate – in his time and on form, quite unbeatable.


He could hold the house in silence when he spoke on subjects that were dear to him, and in his lighter moments the typical Algie posture gave an extra edge to a quick wit – big head held askew on a small body, with the hard, bright glint from thick spectacles adding to the impression of a tiny, amused and highly intelligent bird.


A touch of naughtiness to his quips pleased an age that reserved four-letter words for the cowshed.  One Algie interjection forever robbed Miss Mabel Howard, MP for Sydenham, of any chance of being taken seriously on one of her favourite topics – the shoddiness of cotton goods.  A solid woman, who spread amply about her when she sat down, she complained to the house that after one washing a new dress had shrunk three inches around the bottom.  A precisian in speech, the MP for Remuera rose in wide-eyed innocence and asked:  “Does the honourable member mean the hem?”


Ronald Macmillan Algie was born in 1888 in Wyndham, Southland, and spent his early schooldays in Arrowtown.  But his father was a civil servant who seemed always to be on the move and by the time young Ronald was 20 he had lived in every province of New Zealand except Westland.


He received his secondary education at Thames High School, and from there, where he worked as a pupil-teacher, he went to Auckland University to study law.  As a student, he was considered outstanding among his fellows.  He was appointed a junior lecturer and in 1919 when the chair of law was established at Auckland he became the first professor.  It was a post he held for nearly two decades.  During that time, he helped to school a generation of local legal practitioners.


In public life, he was instrumental in 1927 in founding the Auckland Town Planning Association, a privately inaugurated civic ginger group whose role was essentially educative.


It was further to influence public opinion that Ronald Algie quit his professorship in 1937 to become director and organiser of the Freedom Association.  This has been described as “a short-lived, anti-socialist, anti-bureaucratic society backed largely by Auckland business interests”.  The association nominated no parliamentary candidates but it supported the National Party at the 1938 elections.


Five years later Ronald Algie entered Parliament as the member for the truest of all blue-ribbon seats, Remuera.  It was a seat he clung to for the next 23 years;  when he resigned in 1966 he was as safe in Remuera as any politician could ever hope to be, with a massive 7001 majority in a total poll of 15, 817.


In later years, Sir Ronald was to describe himself as “an old Tory by tradition”.  His conservative convictions were to add strength to the Holland cabinet.


He had a lucidity and an erudition which, combined with a debating talent gained in his student years, proved formidable in the House of Representatives.


He served as Minister of Education from 1949 to 1957 – years which showed he had retained something of the style of the former pupil teacher.  Among other things, he was a supporter of private schools and of more chances for what were then termed the “intellectual elite” among school children.


As Minister in Charge of Broadcasting he was not a keen advocate for the introduction of television.


In 1961, he became Speaker – refusing, with true Algie stubbornness, to follow tradition and be dragged reluctantly to the chair.  Such play-acting, he felt, was out of touch with modern conditions.


He respected Parliament’s traditions and was jealous of its reputation, but he did not regard its institutions as holy and unchangeable.  “Parliament is a valuable, indeed a precious, institution”, he once said.  “Its reputation must ever be kept high in public esteem.  But its methods and practices need modernising from time to time”.


For all that, Ronald Algie was a stickler for parliamentary courtesies and procedure.  In 1975, still a daily listener to broadcasts of debates, he commented that in his day members had been more disciplined.  Of his own days as Speaker, he said simply:  “I always tried to be fair”.


Sir Ronald retired in 1966, two years after he had been knighted.  A man of many accomplishments, he insisted to the end in retaining one particular item in a rather modest entry in Who’s Who in New Zealand.  The item reads:  “Keen mountaineer (with wife climbed Mt Cook and other peaks:  has made 29 ascents of Ruapehu)”.


Source:  New Zealand Herald 24 July 1978, p. 3.




Ronald Macmillan Algie was born in Wyndham, Southland, on 22 October 1888, the son of John Alexander Algie, a postmaster, and his wife, Agnes Macmillan.  Algie was educated at Arrowtown, Thames High School and Balclutha District High School.  After a period as a pupil-teacher, he entered a law office.  He completed an LLB in 1913 and an LLM in 1915 at Auckland University College.  His intellectual capacity and powers of exposition led to an assistant lectureship in law in 1913, followed by his installation in 1920, at the age of 31, as Auckland’s first professor of law.  He married Helen Adair McMaster at Auckland on 14 December 1917;  they had no children.

Algie made a reputation as a brilliant teaching lawyer of conservative inclination and was remembered for his charm and humour as well as the scholarly interest and erudition of his lectures.  He emphasised the value of a general as well as a legal education, and the importance of professional standards and responsibilities.  He was a member of the college’s professorial board and of the Senate of the University of New Zealand.  In debates in the 1930s on academic freedom he supported the conservative cause.  With his wife, he spent much leisure time in mountaineering, and was sufficiently proud of their feats in climbing Mt Ruapehu and Mt Cook to feature this fact in his entry in Who’s who in New Zealand.

In 1937, with the backing of Auckland business interests, Algie resigned his chair to become director of the Auckland Provincial (later New Zealand) Freedom Association, a right-wing organisation strongly opposed to the Labour government.  By 1938 it had effectively become a publicity organisation for the New Zealand National Party.  He successfully contested the blue-ribbon Remuera seat for National in 1943.

Algie made a name as a brilliantly lucid and outstandingly skilful debater of easy erudition and sharp wit.  His speeches were appreciated as much by opponents like Bob Semple, the most destructive debater on the Labour benches, as by his own party, who regularly put him up after key Labour Party speakers.  He dealt simply and to the point with a mass of issues, and could deliver put-downs with a courtesy that disarmed antagonism.  If he felt he had hurt an opponent, he was quick to the apology.  Algie was undoubtedly the most effective parliamentary debater of his time.

Algie’s impact in opposition ensured that he was given a senior post in the first National government after its election in 1949.  He was appointed minister of education in 1949 and in 1951 minister in charge of broadcasting and minister in charge of scientific and industrial research.  His most immediate task, however, was to act with T. O. Bishop, a member of the Legislative Council, as a joint chairman of the select committee charged with finding a viable alternative to the Council;  the government carried out its pledge to abolish this body in 1950.  When Bishop fell ill, Algie became responsible, while carrying a full ministerial load, for the 1952 reports of the Constitutional Reform Committee.  This notable discussion document was largely a product of Algie’s learning, drafting skills and political wisdom.

Algie proved to be an efficient, conscientious and effective minister of education.  Initially, as a result of his attacks in opposition on Labour’s “socialist” education policies, his appointment created professional apprehensions and a wariness between him and his dynamic director, Dr C. E. Beeby.  Algie, however, made regular visits to kindergartens and schools and satisfied himself that, despite changes in teaching, the “three Rs” were well covered.  He soon established an effective working relationship with Beeby and was generous in his praise of the department and its officers.

The educational system Algie inherited faced increasing demands.  On Algie’s recommendation the government endorsed the plans of the Labour administration for massive building programmes and vastly increased teaching quotas to meet the exploding demand for primary school places.  Another critical decision was to continue with plans to provide for multi-purpose secondary schools, ending the earlier division into academic and technical high schools.

Tertiary education was also reformed under Algie.  There were plans for larger universities and more teachers’ colleges.  The University of New Zealand took the first steps towards the autonomy of its constituent colleges while negotiating reciprocal superannuation schemes to facilitate the recruitment of university teachers from other countries.  Another major initiative, in recognition of a future need for engineering and science technicians, was the reconsideration of the types and levels of tertiary courses.  In 1957 Algie authorised planning for the Auckland Technical Institute and the Central Technical College (later the Central Institute of Technology).

Algie was less successful in securing resources for science, which he may have seen as a lesser responsibility than education.  His interest was nevertheless strong, stimulated by working with Ernest Marsden, the original secretary of the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, when they served together on the Academic Board of the University of New Zealand.  The DSIR was under severe financial stress, and restrictions in the vote led to debilitating cut-backs in staff.  In the early 1950s Algie strongly backed reform within the DSIR.  This involved high standards of recruitment, merit payment of staff and delegation of responsibility to leaders of research teams, coupled with full accountability for the use of resources.  This approach was unique to the public service and served as a model for subsequent state-service reform.

By the time Algie’s term ended in 1957 the DSIR was building a reputation for excellence in scientific research based on financially sound administration.  The first geothermal power station was established at Wairakei, nuclear science facilities were developed, scientific support for oil and gas exploration was maintained, and the Taranaki iron sands were investigated as a basis for a steel industry.  Algie keenly supported an expansion of New Zealand’s Antarctic research programmes, culminating in the building of Scott Base as the centre for year-round activities.

As minister in charge of broadcasting Algie repudiated the policy of ministerial control of the New Zealand Broadcasting Service, which saw radio as essentially a presenter of government policy.  But the political constraints on broadcasting, coupled with financial pressures, made him hesitate to press ahead with a long-felt need for an independent system of broadcasting news.  For the same reason, he also slowed up the establishment of television.  He did, however, maintain firm support for another allegedly costly broadcasting icon, the National Orchestra.

Algie was an effective senior minister but, perhaps because of his age, his record in cabinet failed to match the level of his performances in the house.  A younger Algie may have been a notable reforming minister comparable to junior colleagues, such as J. R. Hanan, with whom he had an intellectual affinity, and T. P. Shand.  Neither of the governments with which he was associated acted on his proposal for a revived second chamber of Parliament, so Algie was denied the ultimate accolade of constitutional reformer.

In opposition between 1958 and 1960, Algie retained his front-bench ranking and proved a devastating critic of the “faults, follies, and mismanagement of a most unpopular Government”.  On the election of the second National government in 1960 Algie may have hoped for the portfolio of external affairs.  But he was now 72 and, under pressure, he reluctantly accepted the speakership.  (His reluctance was perhaps due to his poor eyesight, which required him to learn Standing Orders by heart).  Nevertheless, Algie, with his finely tuned, wide-ranging constitutional interests and legal experience, fairly maintained he had “a delightful job”.  He held firm views about the courtesies required of parliamentary debate.  He also faced an urgent need for changes to cope with the rapid growth of parliamentary business and longer sessions, and chaired the 1961-62 committee established to reform procedures.  His knowledge of the constitution of other legislatures assisted in improving parliamentary practice and systems.  This was especially true for financial affairs, to be dealt with in a new Public Expenditure Committee.

At his retirement in 1966 Algie was lauded as “an outstanding Speaker”, admired as “the skilled fencer, the man with the sharp rapier…with the touch of the consummate artist”.  He had been knighted in 1964, and received an honorary LLD from his old university in 1967.

Helen Algie had died in 1944, and on 28 May 1947, at Christchurch, Algie married Mary Joan Gray Stewart;  they had a son and a daughter.  Mary Algie died in 1972, and he himself died at Auckland on 23 July 1978, survived by his two children.  In a distinguished professional and public career, Algie, who liked to describe himself as “a Tory in the old tradition”, had given exemplary service based on intellect, learning, wit and authority.


Source:  Templeton, Hugh.  “Algie, Ronald Macmillan”, from the Dictionary of New Zealand Biography. Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, updated 22 May 2013.




Sir Ronald Macmillan Algie’s first influence on affairs was that of the pedagogue.  Even as Minister of Education later in his career he retained something of the former pupil teacher’s style.  As professor law at Auckland University for almost two decades after the chair of law was established, he helped to school a generation of local legal practitioners, including a later Mayor, Dr R. G. McElroy.  In public life, he was instrumental in 1927 in founding the Auckland Town Planning Association, a privately inaugurated civic ginger group whose role was essentially educative.


Influencing public opinion was also the objective when, in 1937, Ronald Algie resigned his professorship to become director and organiser of the Freedom Association, a short-lived anti-socialist, anti-bureaucratic society backed largely by Auckland business interests.  The association nominated no parliamentary candidates but it supported the National Party at the 1938 elections.


Five years later, Ronald Algie became National MP for Remuera.  His conservative convictions added strength to the subsequent Holland Cabinet;  his lucidity, erudition, exquisite wit and debating talent proved formidable in the House of Representatives where he served as Speaker for his final two terms, before retiring in 1966.


Source:  Makers of Auckland (1871-1971).  Auckland, Wilson & Horton, 1971, p. 1.


Sir Ronald Macmillan Algie (22 October 1888 - 23 July 1978) was a New Zealand politician who served as Speaker of the House of Representatives for six years in the 1960s.  He described himself as “a Tory in the old tradition”.


Algie was born on 22 October 1888, in Wyndham a small town in New Zealand’s Southland region.  He was educated in Arrowtown and Balclutha before attending the University of Auckland.  He gained an LLB in 1913 and an LLM in 1915.  In 1920, he became the University of Auckland's first Professor of Law, aged thirty-one.  He was noted for his strong intellectual performance, and also for his conservative views.


In 1937, Algie became the director of the Freedom Association, an organization which strongly opposed the left-wing Labour Party government of the time.  The Freedom Association quickly became linked to the new National Party, and Algie became one of the party’s more prominent supporters.  In the 1943 elections, Algie was selected as the National Party’s candidate for the Remuera seat, controversially displacing sitting National MP William Endean.  Algie won the seat and entered Parliament.


Algie proved to be a skilled Parliamentary debater, and has been described by Hugh Templeton as the best debater of his time.  Even opponents such as Bob Semple respected Algie’s rhetorical abilities.  He was also noted for remaining polite throughout debates, and for his willingness to apologise for any offence he accidentally gave.


Cabinet minister


After the 1949 election, when Sidney Holland formed the first National government, Algie was immediately elevated to Cabinet.  He was initially appointed Minister of Education, and later became Minister of Broadcasting and Minister of Scientific and Industrial Research.  He also co-led the committee that looked into the future of the Legislative Council, the upper house of the New Zealand Parliament.  In the end, however, Algie’s proposals for a Senate were not pursued, and New Zealand’s parliament has not had an upper house since that time.


Speaker of the House


Algie briefly returned to Opposition after the 1957 election, which National lost.  When National regained power after the 1960 election, Algie is believed to have wanted the post of Minister of External Affairs, but was not given it (possibly because of his age; he was seventy-two).  Instead, he was convinced to take up the Speakership.    He officially assumed office at the beginning of the 1961 parliamentary term.


As Speaker, Algie was known for his strong insistence on politeness in debates.  He also undertook a number of reforms of Parliamentary procedure to accommodate the changing nature of politics.  He served six years as Speaker, retiring at the 1966 election.  He was generally praised for his performance in the role, and had been given a knighthood in 1964.  Algie was succeeded in the Remuera seat by Allan Highet.


Algie died in Auckland on 23 July 1978.


Source:  Wikipedia


Publications by Ronald Macmillan Algie


Bible in schools: the opposition of prominent educationalists.  Auckland, State Education Defence League, 1926.  16 p.  (This tract lists the views of several prominent politicians and educators, including Algie).


Report on certain aspects of legal education.  Auckland, Auckland University College, 1933.  66 p.


Journalists and the law relating to defamation: a summary of two lectures, delivered in the School of Journalism.  Auckland, Auckland University College, School of Journalism, 1935.  24 p.  (Cover title:  The law of defamation).


Auckland Provincial Freedom Association: the aims and objects of the organisation.  R. M. Algie, organiser.  Auckland, Auckland Provincial Freedom Association, 1938?  8 p.


Ministerial control.  Auckland, New Zealand Freedom Association, 1939.  16 p.


The British Empire.  Auckland, New Zealand Freedom Association, 1940.  35 p.


The British Parliament.  Auckland, New Zealand Freedom Association, 1940.  26 p.


Democracy and its modern rivals.  Auckland, New Zealand Freedom Association, 1940.  39 p.


Democracy and our economic system: a compilation of views and opinions prepared for consideration and study.  Auckland, New Zealand Freedom Association, 1940.  31 p.


Democracy: some views and opinions.  Auckland, New Zealand Freedom Association, 1940.  28 p.


The government and the banks.  Auckland, New Zealand Freedom Association, 1940?  55 p.


The holding of elections.  Auckland, New Zealand Freedom Association, 1940?  25 p.


The Statute of Westminster: its background, purpose and content: a compilation of views and opinions.  Auckland, New Zealand Freedom Association, 1940?  21 p.


The development of the British Commonwealth: some views and opinions.  Auckland, New Zealand Freedom Association, 1941?  21 p.


The economic problem: conservative and labour opinions: a summary of the views expressed by Mr Geoffrey Crowther.  Auckland, New Zealand Freedom Association, 1941?.  32 p.


Our way of life: an address to young New Zealanders: a few thoughts on democracy.  Auckland, New Zealand National Party, 1941?  7 p.


The socialisation of the land: an examination of the policy of the Labour government, 1936-1940.  Auckland, New Zealand Freedom Association, 1941.  45 p.


The State and the Small Farms Ac:  soldier settlement or state socialisation.  Auckland, New Zealand Freedom Association, 1941.  48 p.


Developments in foreign relations: opinions upon certain important questions.  Auckland, New Zealand Freedom Association, 1943?.  29 p.


Meetings of shareholders.  In New Zealand Institute of Secretaries.  Two addresses to secretaries.  Auckland, Wilson & Horton, 1945.  16 p.


Critical examination of the functioning of Parliament.  Journal of Public Administration (Wellington) v. 8 no. 2, March 1946, p. 14-21.


Committee on Foreign Affairs.  World Affairs (Wellington) v. 2 no. 3, September 1946, p. 23-24.


Masterless Europe.  World Affairs (Wellington) v. 3 no. 2, June 1947, p. 7-9.


Stricken troubled Europe.  World Affairs (Wellington) v. 3 no. 3, September 1947, p. 11-12.


Palestine: a test case.  World Affairs (Wellington) v. 3 no. 4, December 1947, p. 7-8.


Committee on Foreign Affairs.  World Affairs (Wellington) v. 4 no. 1, March 1948, p. 17-19.


Majority principle.  World Affairs (Wellington) v. 4 no. 3, October 1948, p. 17-18.


New approaches to Commonwealth relationships.  World Affairs (Wellington) v. 4 no. 4, December 1948, p. 22-24.


Views related to the function and limits of the state in modern society.  Journal of Political Science (Wellington) v. 1 no. 3, November 1949, p. 39-42.


Minister discusses his task.  National Education (Wellington) no. 32, February 1950, p. 4-5.


True education: that boys and girls should learn how to live, not merely how to earn a living: extracts from a speech delivered at a civic reception in the city of Nelson, Thursday, 15th June, 1950.  Nelson, Stiles & Co., 1950.  7 p.


Crisis in education.  New Zealand Listener v. 24 no. 606, 9 February 1951, p. 7.


Government’s view of science.  New Zealand Science Review no. 10, September 1952, p. 146-147.


Report of the Constitutional Reform Committee.  Wellington, Government Printer, 1952.  48 p.  (AJHR 1952 I-18).  (Algae was co-chair of the Committee).


Report of the Juvenile Delinquency Committee.  Wellington, Government Printer, 1955.  29 p.  (AJHR 1955 I-15).  (Algie was chair of the Committee).


Some thoughts on elections.  Salient (Wellington) v. 23 no. 9, 9 November 1960, p. 1-2.


Report of the Delegated Legislation Committee.  Wellington, Government Printer, 1962.  13 p.  (AJHR 1962 I-18).  (Algie was chair of the Committee).


Government in action.  The New Zealand Constitution, by K. J. Scott.  Reviewed by the Hon. R. M. Algie, Speaker of the House of Representatives.  New Zealand Listener v. 48 no. 1226, 22 March 1963, p. 18.


The Speaker.  In Politics in New Zealand: a symposium.  Political Science (Wellington) v. 15 no. 2, September 1963, p. 14-17.


Residence in New Zealand


1911:  13 London Street, St Mary’s Bay, Auckland (teacher)

1914, 1919:  “Frogmore”, Symonds Street, Auckland (law clerk)

1922, 1925, 1928, 1931, 1935, 1938:  75 Remuera Road, Remuera, Auckland (law professor)

1941, 1946, 1949, 1954:  261 Remuera Road, Remuera, Auckland (law professor)

1957, 1960, 1963, 1966:  261 Remuera Road, Remuera, Auckland (member of parliament)

1969, 1972, 1975:  261 Remuera Road, Remuera, Auckland (retired)

1978:  29 Charles Dickens Drive, Mellons Bay, Auckland (retired)


Source:  New Zealand Electoral Rolls, 1853-1981.


1923, 1926, 1930, 1933, 1936, 1938:  75 Remuera Road, Remuera, Auckland (university professor)

1940, 1946, 1947, 1950-51:  261 Remuera Road, Remuera, Auckland (professor)


Source:  New Zealand City and Area Directories, 1866-1954.


Obituary of Mary Joan Gray Algie née Stewart


Lady Algie, wife of the former Speaker of the House of Representatives and MP for Remuera, Sir Ronald Algie, died in Auckland on Thursday night.  Born Mary Joan Gray Stewart, she was the youngest daughter of the late Mr and Mrs G. L. Stewart, of Wadestown, Wellington.


Lady Algie was endowed with musical and artistic abilities and had a strong sense of concern for the community.  A holder of the LRSM for piano, she was an active member of the Otago Arts Society and many of her watercolours were hung in exhibitions, mainly in Otago.


Lady Algie was a member of the New Zealand Women Writers’ Society and before her marriage wrote radio talks.  She had interests in a variety of fields, including gardening, which was expressed in her membership of the Meadowbank Beautifying Society during the establishment of the Eden Gardens.  She belonged to the Aorangi Club and Lyceum Club, for which she served as convenor of the international circle.  Lady Algie also served on the national board of the YWCA and was a member of the English Speaking Union, the Auckland Society of Arts and the Victoria League.


Her untiring support of her husband in his political life culminated in her work as women’s chairman of the Remuera branch of the National Party since Sir Ronald’s retirement.  She is survived by her husband, a son and a daughter.


            Source:  New Zealand Herald 6 May 1972.



            2 children (with Mary Joan Gray Stewart):




Born about 1948.



Married in 1979 at Devizes, Wiltshire, England HELGA CHARLOTTE MARSHALL, mother of Mark and Emma Marshall.


Died 18 December 2016 at Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan.




Ronald Algie

Natural educator with a gift for bringing out the best in each individual


All OHs who knew him will be very sorry to hear of the death of Ron Algie, who made an enormous contribution to the life of Allhallows.  He died on 18th December 2016, aged 68, at a hospital in Karachi, where he had been teaching at the British Overseas School.


At Allhallows Ron was first house tutor of Baker and later assistant housemaster of Stanton.  He mainly taught English and Classics but it is for his work behind the scenes that most will remember Ron – his study door was never closed and his methods were not always orthodox.


He had a charming manner and could talk to anyone about anything!


Ronald Stewart Macmillan Algie was born in Auckland, New Zealand and studied there for his B.A.  His father, Sir Ronald Algie, was an MP, Speaker of the New Zealand parliament and a professor of Law.


He came to Allhallows from teaching at King’s, Auckland in September 1977, initially for a year, and he successfully took over the English department when Geoff Johnston left.


Ron returned to New Zealand in 1979 with Helga, whom he had married at Easter.  She was the mother of one of Ron’s pupils, Mark Marshall (V 75-80), and of Emma.


Ron returned to Allhallows in 1990, when Peter Larkman appointed him housemaster of Middlemist, then situated where Shallow had been, and which he ran with his customary caring approach, together with Helga’s valuable assistance.


Under Keith Moore’s headship he proved to be a persuasive ambassador for the school at ISIS independent schools exhibitions.


When Allhallows closed at Christmas 1998, Ron and Helga took some of his pupils, who remained devoted OHs, to Wycliffe College.


His funeral was held in New Zealand.  A later thanksgiving service four miles from Rousdon, at Colyton, was attended by a throng of younger OHs.


Our sympathy goes to his family in NZ as well as to Helga, Mark and Emma.


Source:  O H Magazine 2018, p. 27


Residence in New Zealand


1969:  261 Remuera Road, Remuera, Auckland (student)

1981:  10 Minerva Terrace, Howick, Auckland (schoolmaster)


Source:  New Zealand Electoral Rolls, 1853-1981.





Married Peter Watts.


Residence in New Zealand


1969:  261 Remuera Road, Remuera, Auckland (student)

1978, 1981:  29 Charles Dickens Drive, Pakuranga, Auckland (housewife)


Source:  New Zealand Electoral Rolls, 1853-1981.



            (3)  DORIC LAIRD ALGIE


Born 21 July 1892 at Kaitangata, Otago.

Teacher, university lecturer.


Married on 7 January 1925 in New Zealand EDITH MURIEL VINCENT (about 1890-27 May 1963).


Died 21 August 1948 at Auckland.

No children.




Blind scholar’s death


Mr Doric L. Algie, an almost blind scholar who until about five years ago was a lecturer in classics at Auckland University College, died on Saturday at the age of 56 years.  Mr Algie, who is survived by his wife, was a brother of Mr R. M. Algie, M.P. for Remuera, and was the youngest son of the late Captain and Mrs J. A. Algie.  He lived at 2 Maunsell Road, Parnell.


A teacher at the Institute for the Blind School, Mr Algie was recently selected as the next headmaster of the school.  The appointment was to have taken effect from the beginning of 1949.


With the aid of a phenomenal memory, Mr Algie surmounted great physical difficulties to win academic honours.  He had to absorb the contents of text books read aloud to him or begin his studies by having his books translated into Braille.  Mr Algie attended King’s College for a year.  In that year he studied for and obtained his matriculation at the age of 16.  He took first place in New Zealand for Latin in the university entrance examination and was top in English, history and Latin on various occasions at the university, where he was awarded the Early English Text Society’s Prize in 1914.  When Mr Algie was studying for his B.A. degree, three large books were read to him once each.  He gained the highest marks in New Zealand for history in the examination.  Mr Algie graduated M.A. with honours in 1915.


Mr Algie was a part-time and full-time lecturer in classics at the University for 11 years.  Starting in 1915, he was a private tutor for more than 30 years.  He personally coached hundreds of students, many of whom corresponded with him for years after they had graduated.


Source:  New Zealand Herald 23 August 1848, p. 8 col. F.


            Residence in New Zealand


1914:  Jubilee Institute of the Blind, Manukau Road, Parnell, Auckland (student)

1919:  Tawera Road, Greenlane, Auckland (tutor)

1925, 1928, 1931, 1935, 1938, 1941:  35 Tawera Road, Greenlane, Auckland (assistant master)

1943, 1946:  2 Maunsell Road, Parnell, Auckland (master)


Source:  New Zealand Electoral Rolls, 1853-1981.


1926, 1930, 1933, 1936, 1938, 1940, 1942:  35 Tawera Street, One Tree Hill, Auckland (teacher)


Source:  New Zealand City and Area Directories, 1866-1954.




Updated 26 May 2020

James Algie (1650-1685) Memorial Headstone
James Algie (1650-1685) Memorial Headstone

John Alexander Algie, 1857-1948

Penelope Anderson Algie née Monro, 1881-1954
and John Alexander Algie, 1857-1948

Algie's Castle (Merksworth Castle)
Algie's Castle (Merksworth Castle)

Algie Coat of Arms from Merksworth Castle
Algie Coat of Arms from Merksworth Castle

Colvin Stewart Algie, 1887-1916
Colvin Stewart Algie, 1887-1916

Ronald Macmillan Algie, 1888-1978
Ronald Macmillan Algie, 1888-1978

Ronald, Doric, John Alexander and Colvin Algie
Ronald, Doric, John Alexander and Colvin Algie

Doric Laird Algie, 1892-1948
Doric Laird Algie, 1892-1948

Edith Muriel Algie née Vincent, 1890-1963
and Doric Laird Algie, 1892-1948

Donald Colvin Algie, 1915-1990
Donald Colvin Algie, 1915-1990

R.N.Z.N.V.R. Commanders of New Zealand Fairmiles
Lieutenant D. C. Algie 7th from left
Lt. D.C. Algie 7th from left, Lt. E.T.F. Millett far right

Cecil Mary Algie (nee Upton) & Donald Colvin Algie
Cecil Mary Algie (nee Upton) and Donald Colvin Algie

Elizabeth Margaret Bayliss (nee Algie).jpg
Elizabeth Margaret Bayliss (nee Algie), 1943-2016

Thomas Frank Bayliss & Elizabeth Margaret Bayliss
Thomas Frank Bayliss and Elizabeth Margaret Bayliss (nee Algie)

Adrian Cassaidy & Mary Florence Cassaidy
Adrian Cassaidy and Mary Florence Cassaidy (nee Algie)

Matthew Colvin Algie and Wendy Algie (nee Thow)
Matthew Colvin Algie and Wendy Algie (nee Thow) with minister Lesley Hyde